Sunday, September 7, 2014

Kirai Ankoku

Many game companies release a host of exciting new products at GenCon, and Wyrd is no exception!  As I was not able to attend, I need to extend a huge thank you to Stinkmunk (Malifaux blogger, gamer, painter, and all around enthusiast) for offering to "ninja" shop on my behalf!  One of the amazing sets picked up for me was the Kirai crew, which I am trying to get onto the tabletop as fast as possible!  So far I have finished Kirai herself, and Ikiryo, her soul - that literally leaves her body to wreak vengeance upon those who have done her wrong (principally the killers of her lover/fiance, who died while saving her from assassination by the Guild of Malifaux).


Kirai

Kirai


The new plastic model of Kirai has certainly grown on me during the painting process.  The original sculpt (see below) was very grim and evocative, while the new one with its "skipping" pose, doesn't quite sell the spirit of vengeance motif.  This is partially explained in another GenCon release - the newest Malifaux rulebook "Crossroads." In this book, Kirai meets Molly, another Resurrectionist master (see my earlier post).  So as Kirai makes friends and slowly comes to terms with her lover's death, she isn't quite so angry and depressed all the time.  She still has the powers that were unlocked through her traumatic experiences, but now she can move past her specific issues and begin helping others.

Kirai - original sculpt
I was never able to get my hands on the original sculpt of Kirai, but I will still keep my eyes out for it.  While I might somewhat prefer the old Kirai model, the remainder of the new Kirai set is absolutely amazing.  In particular, Kirai's projected soul, Ikiryo is a dramatic improvement over the old sculpt.  The new Ikiryo is massive and terrifying.  The long hair evokes the Japanese horror movie Ringu right at the moment when the spirit starts crawling out of the TV.  One of the scariest movies I've ever seen (as an aside, many people debate which movie is better - Ringu or its Hollywood remake The Ring.  In my opinion, the scariest is the version you see first).  I am sure this same fear is duplicated in players who have Ikiryo materialize beside one of their key models during a game!



The Resurrectionists' story in the Crossroads book describes how Kirai meets Molly, and shows them hanging out together.  While reading this narrative, I kept being reminded of a website that continually amuses me - They Fight Crime: Movie Idea Generator .

Molly is an undead newspaper reporter down on her luck. Kirai is a spirit of vengeance looking for love in all the wrong places. Together they fight crime!


3 comments:

  1. What techniques did you use to paint the Ikiryo? It looks awesome and I'd love to replicate that with my model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The base coat on her shirt is Privateer Press Thornwood Green, highlighted with PP Traitor Green. The highlights are PP Trollblood Highlight (I think). I mostly used wet blending techniques. Her skin is PP Bastion Grey washed with Games Workshop Seraphim Sepia. Highlights are probably GW Administratum Grey. Note that the highlights look kind of yellow in these pictures, but that is strictly due to the lamp I was lighting the photos with. Low end photo production :(

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete