Friday, September 19, 2014

Mountain King


The Mountain King is probably one of the most impressive wargame miniature ever made.  Privateer Press has released a Gargantuan/Colossal model for most of its factions at this point, all of which are incredible.  As a crazy collector, I will showcase at least three more of these in upcoming posts (in addition to the Prime Axiom previously discussed).  The Mountain King is my favourite, although it is hard to get enough work out of him during a game to justify his point cost.  I still use him in almost half my games (when using Trollbloods), even though most players now give the Mountain King a miss.


Mountain King

Mountain King
Because the model is so evocative of the mountainous wilds, I have created a mini landscape on his back - a little grassy knoll with a tree.  I wanted him to look like he recently burst out of the ground where he has been chained up for hundreds of years.  It seems that as these massive trolls age, they grow more rocks on their backs.  This idea was first seen on one of the Trollblood character Dire Trolls, Mulg the Ancient.  I first got the idea to add a tree to a Troll's back when I first painted my Mulg (see below), and so it was natural to continue this idea on the Mountain King, which benefits from a larger working surface area.

Doomshaper, Mulg, and Mountain King

Incidentally, this is the second Mountain King that I have painted.  The model pictured below was painted for a friend, using his army's colour scheme.

Khal's Mountain King

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell the size. Banana for scale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time but do you have any tips for how to do the tree and grassy area? I've got a different paint scheme in mind but really like the addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used green stuff putty to cover the rocks on his shoulder, to basically make a little knoll. Then I attached a Woodland Scenics tree (bent into the shape I wanted), and used more putty to sculpt some roots. Then I flocked the knoll, and painted it brown. Lastly, I used white glue to put on static grass.

    ReplyDelete